Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Encouragement for today



So I found this blog (and stole the picture too)..

www.mizfitonline.com


I was googling "walking marathons" and one thing I read today I'm gonna post here so I can come back and give myself a pep talk when I really need it.

http://mizfitonline.com/2010/06/23/running-getting-started/

***NEVER GIVE UP!!

Start SLOW.

Wanting to run a marathon is an attainable goal, but remember, even the best marathon runners had to start somewhere.

Just like with weight loss, if you set out thinking “I want to lose 50 lbs” you are going to get frustrated when it doesn’t happen overnight.

Instead, you tell yourself “I’d like to lose a pound or two this week” and work towards that small goal.

The same goes with running.

Be proud of the little accomplishments, like if you can push yourself to run 30 seconds further each day.

Because before you know it, those seconds add up to minutes, those minutes add up to miles.

Also, there is no shame in walking. Did you hear me? DO NOT BE ASHAMED TO WALK! You are still a runner if you walk.

Many world class running coaches, such as Jeff Galloway, even recommend walking! So if you have to walk, then walk.

One of my favorite quotes ever is from Dean Karnazes, a world famous ultra runner. “Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.”

Walking, heck crawling, is still better than sitting on the couch feeling sorry for yourself or wondering what if? Am I right? Getting out there is the most important part.

I remember the first day I went running after I gave birth to my oldest. I struggled/ran/jogged/but mostly walked through a 20 minute mile. And then I puked as soon as I reached my driveway.

It was miserable. I assure you, it’s not getting out there the first day that is the hardest part. It’s going back the next day and the day after that. But the day after my puking incident, I forced myself out the door.

It was just as miserable. But I kept doing it.

If you stick with, through all those mornings you don’t want to get out of bed…if you push through it, I promise that you too will start to crave those runs, you will LOVE those miles!


*********

Just remember, starting is the hardest part.

The pain you feel may feel now is temporary, but the pride you will feel as you cross that finish line, whether it be of your first mile, a 5k, or even a marathon, that feeling will last with you forever!

Take it slow, BELIEVE in yourself, and you will accomplish anything you set your mind to!

No comments:

Post a Comment