Sunday, September 9, 2012

Rescheduled and now 3 days post-op


All that buildup last month for nothing... I woke up the morning of my surgery with strep throat! I was SO upset!!
So we rescheduled.
Meanwhile, we finished packing up the house, I started school and we moved.
And then Sept 6th came. 
We had to be at the hospital by 10am for surgery to start at noon.  We got there a little late but was taken back real quick to pre-op and prepped for a HUGE life change!
Surgery started at 1 from what Jon tells me and ended around 3:30.  I don't remember anything from when they put the gas mask on me.  I woke up in recovery asking when they plan on starting it.  I was already done.  And right then, naseau set in.  And I started throwing up. Not pleasant when your insides were just rerouted!
After they got that under control, the pain came on like a ton of bricks.  Thank you morphine!
I was released from recovery and got to meet my family in the waiting room while being wheeled to my hospital room.  From them on, it was just vital checks, pain meds, more vital checks and more pain meds.  I had a little scare the first night when my chest started hurting and tightening when I breathed.  They monitored it for awhile and concluded that it was gas. 
Gas has been my enemy!!! The majority of my pain has been from gas bubbles still hanging around.  My night nurse was amazing and kept me walking and checking on me.  Her replacement was not amazing.  She hardly checked on me at all.  When I buzzed for her, she wouldn't come.  When I needed pain meds, she took her time to get any.  And then when it was time to go, she didn't call for transport like she said-Jon had to go out and get her to.  I was glad to get out of there!!!
So now I'm home.. trying to drink sips of water or protein drinks and it's been difficult.  I realized that I really don't like protein drinks!  Luckily I've been able to eat a little too. Not much but like today, I had some pureed soup.  Wasn't too bad.  I'll have some refried beans with chicken tonight blended with cheese on top.  So this has been a process..
The pain has gotten better each day but I can't seem to get rid of a few very painful gas bubbles- one in my ribs and one in my left shoulder.  And I'm now sporting 5 new scars on my belly!
So that's where I'm at now.  Home trying to get used to my new stomache and heal.
I'll keep you posted!!!

2 comments:

  1. Man you have a lot going on in your life right now! A move(!!!), school and a surgery. Wonder woman! I'm happy to read that you are home and doing great. I hope you continue to heal beautifully and are able to get right back into life. Thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete